Pages - Menu

Thursday, February 25, 2016

Twincity Marathon 2016

Hello! It's been the longest time since my last post and if I'm not mistaken, my last post was for the Blog Every Day in November challenge last year, which I did not even complete it. Bad Jessica! But you know, that's life and let's move on to a new year, 2016! I promised myself last year that I would finish the year strong and I believe I did as I have achieved my long dreaded resolution, which is to weigh at least 70kg. I have started running again with my running buddy and from that, I decided that my 2016 is going to be a fun-filled, adventurous and 'challenge yourself' year. Thus, I signed up to run my first Full Marathon to kick start my 2016. This post is somewhat like a throwback post of the marathon whereby it was held exactly a month ago, on the 24th January 2016.

Since I became truly close with my girlfriend/running buddy Fay, she constantly told me that she will be participating the Twincity Marathon 2016 and run for full marathon. Fell in love with running, I started to dream of running a full marathon as I thought if my girlfriend can do it, I can definitely do it too. So I kind of trained with her to prepare herself for the marathon, whenever she runs, I run with her. Then one day, opportunity to run full marathon came to me. A fellow runner from the same running group as I am all of the sudden announce in the whatsapp group that she is letting go of her full marathon bib and straight away Fay who is also in the same group texted me to grab the chance. She was full on trying to convince me and being typical Jessica, I doubted myself a little bit as the longest run that I did was only 18KM. Fay never stopped to give me support that she will be there with me every step of the way and she even believed in me that we will finish together. So pumped up from Fay's supportive encouragement, I contacted the fellow running mate who let go of her bib and voila, I was going to run full marathon 42KM on behalf of her. That happened approximately a month before the actual marathon date.

My training preparation for the run, I would rather say it as slow and easy because Fay and I trained to build up our endurance to run long. Week 4 & 3 before the event day, Fay and I tried to run as long as we could to the point where I had to rest for almost a week at week 2 to rest my left knee. My left knee was hurting and that probably caused by over running or over-trained. After the rest, the week of the actual event, Fay and I did more short runs as we want to avoid from hurting our legs even more and we took the chance to look for things that we need for marathon such as power gel, salt stick, visor cap, anti blister socks etc. A few days prior to the marathon date, we were dead nervous, so nervous that we actually told each other how stupid we were for putting ourselves into this situation. We kept telling each other the same thing even until the eve of the event. Personally, even the thought of me, going to run 42KM gave me the chills. Even though I know the run is going to be worth it and I know I will finish it, but the feeling of anticipation and not knowing what will happen during the run haunted me even in my sleep to the point that I have multiple nightmares of getting injured, not finishing the run. But being positive and with tons of prayers, Fay and I still went on with the plan. LOL!

22 Jan 2016
FLY DAY - Friday!! I was excited to board on a plane, I mean who doesn't get excited to get on a plane right? And the excitement was even more surreal when I got to travel with my bff! We waited for our flight with some of our running mates but our flight got slightly delayed, which we didn't mind at all. When we boarded the plane, get ourselves comfortable in our seats, we wanted to get some sleep as we know that we won't going to get a good night sleep that night because we have planned earlier to sleep at the airport to save up on accommodation. But no, the passengers behind us were talking so loudly that I could only sleep for 1 hour or so. I checked on Fay and she was sleeping okay, then I read the book that I brought with me. Thankfully it was a smooth flight, no turbulence whatsoever and I had a good reading. After we landed, we regroup with our running mate that traveled the same night and slept with them on the cold hard floor in the departure area.

With the boys

With the girls

Just boarded!

Our 5 star hotel lol!

23 Jan 2016
Woke up with a stiff body. Washed up and change before breakfast. The breakfast at the airport was mehhhhh, it tasted okay but at that time I was really craving for food that I'm used to like Chinese. The choices were limited and again, on a tight budget so Fay and I went to get some fried rice with chicken that was quite cheap and most importantly, our MORNING COFFEE!! After breakfast, we went to buy our KLIA Express tickets to head to Cybercity to regroup with the rest of the team who are already there. Bought the tickets and off we go! Arrived at Cybercity, we then send our bags to one of our teammate's room and head to D'Pulze Mall to watch Dilwale as some of them haven't watch it, Fay and I did but since we enjoyed it so much we didn't mind watching with them again! The cinema hall was filled with our noise most of the time! Dilwale was still awesome! We then head to the ground floor to collect our race pack and we get to check if the chip on our bibs can be scanned with the chip scanner. After that, we then head to this ayam penyet place for carboloading. I didn't finish mine probably because my guts were in knots for being so nervous for the next day. We then head back to the hotel to check-in and finally laying our bodies on a real bed! I think we slept until 8pm and then head down to have dinner. After that, went back to the room and prepared things for the run.

Ready to go!

 Adventure is out there!!

Wefie in the KLIA Express

Dilwale time!!

Ayam Penyet here was good!!

Rojak Runners racepack collection and wefie with otai!

Running prep

24 Jan 2016 
RUN DAY!!!! We woke up super early and I actually didn't sleep very well as I was so nervous! Took shower and get ready. We didn't request for late check out so we left our room and put our stuff in Mags and Navin's room and we head down together. All of us, the Rojak Runners went to the starting line together. During the flag off and everybody started to run, my mind went blank. For me it was a dreamlike feeling because I couldn't really remember the earlier part of the run. Fay told me that I kept looking down during the first 21km half marathon. Thankfully Fay was with me all the time to call up to me so that I don't look down all the time. Recalling during the 1st half of the marathon, I could only remember that I went to pee and I drink a lot of electrolytes that was provided at the water station. According to Fay, she has renewed her personal best for her 21km, which in 3 hours and 30mins or so. After the 21km, I started to relax a little and as the sun came up, I started to look up more often to look at the sky and birds. There were times I was behind Fay but it didn't bother me at all. By this time I knew there was something wrong with both of my feet. My runs getting slower and shorter to the point it was even painful to walk. Blister!! I could feel the blister punctured every step I made, it was painfully excruciating that I could even feel the small stone that I stepped on. The last 10km, it was sooo scorching hot I thought I was about to faint. Everything seemed so bright and I looked at the time, it almost noon. Thank goodness for the motor marshals for keeping up on us the whole 10km and he also helped us to bring extra water just in case we needed it. He chatted with us and he was nice to comprehend with our annoying questions "Are we close now?" "How far is it?", "What KM is it now?", "Why is it still far?" yada yada. Bless his soul for keeping up on us and did not get tired with our endless rants and complaints. At this point, Fay and I were just walking. We could not run anymore. We kept ourselves going until we saw a lot of motorcycle marshals waiting for us while reporting through walkie-talkie that we have arrived. The marshals started to wind up their sirens and escorted us. And then we saw our team mates 500m before the finishing line. They actually went to get and run together with us at the finishing line. It was so sweet and thoughtful of them to still wait for us. I then asked Fay to hold my hand and we together crossed the finish line. When we crossed it, I straight away broke into tears and hugged Fay. It was definitely the most emotional moment that I have ever felt. The feeling that I made it, I finished, I didn't die all struck in me. Although we were the last to arrive, we were given powerbank from the organizer. We then head back to the hotel to change and get ready to go to the airport as our flight was also on the same day. We boarded the plane and I dozed off as soon as I sat on my seat, I didn't even get to see the safety demonstration. 

Escorted by the marshals!

Happy tears!

Group photo at the airport with our finisher tee!!

What I learned from this whole full marathon experience is that, I am capable to do way beyond that I expected from myself. I did not give and during the run, never once I doubted myself that I could not finish it, unlike days before the run. I went blank mode and kept running, walking, doing every thing that I needed to do in order to survive the 42km. I have found a new strength in me that I thought I could never have and this experience has taught me that to always believe in myself. I just need to do what I wanted to do and don't second guess. From it, I have a newfound respect for myself and I love myself even more. So thank you Fay bebeh for your constant support, for always being there for me every step of the way. To my running family, you guys are awesome and I love the spirit, the passion and the love that you guys have for running. Not forgetting my family for always believe in me, my numero uno supporters!!!

Here's to more marathons in the future and what a kickstart for 2016!!! Till next post.

Au revoir,


  1. Can I cry? Oh man, I already did.

    Damn the experience of running full marathons. A bitter-sweet but the spotlights they have put on us - Mannnnn! HAHAHAHAH Thanks to you too my running buddy/GF/BFF, no matter what happened during our 1st FM, its only makes us stronger than before. We don't have to prove to those negative people around us. All that matter, we know we can do it and we did it! woohoo!! I love youuu bebeh! Here's to more more FM, ultra and trails in future! *raise beers*